Monday, September 6, 2010

Keys


I lived my life out one summer. I was born, I lived and I died.
He said, 'I'm the drummer'. And he took me for a ride.
I said, 'Where is this going?' He said, 'I just wanna hang'
I said, 'No, I meant your music' He said, 'I just wanna bang'

You set it up for what you lack
You hit the road and it hit you back

Dead of winter the air is frozen to my face
My cold heart melted when I saw him slap his bass
The only thing I had a handle on was holdin on to something of it's own
Why am I holding court in jest, playing second best to the successor of the throne?

So I threw off my crown and ran into the night
So I begged you a little, that's okay, right?

I showed you yourself, you showed me the door
Hey, that's okay, maybe you won the battle but, Im'a win the war
Was mid-November, fall. He was handsome. He was tall.
The people travel wide and far to hear him shred on his guitar.

Piano man, Baby please, don't take me home, just give me your keys...

~by Laurie Lehner

No comments:

Post a Comment