Friday, February 25, 2011

KEANU by Laurie Lehner

I wrote this song about 6 years ago. One of my first ever!

I was out with my girls in the summer, after dark
We were uptown, the 70's, near Central Park
Friday night cocktails, cool breeze in the air
outside a trendy new lounge with a club downstairs

And it was cosmos and gossip amid Marlboro smoke
then a stranger leaned over as I was tellin' a joke
"You guys got a cigarette?" were the words he spoke
it was Keanu Reeves, sippin' on a Jack and Coke

And then we said, "Sure!"
And then he said, "So, what's the occasion?"
And we talked with Keanu a little bit more
And found ourselves tossing him cigarettes 'til a quarter to...
2, 3, 4!

Keanu, I need to sit here all night waitin' for you
to bum another smoke from me
Keanu, the time flew. It's been great, now it's late
but it was awful nice to hang with you

Then he held my hand in a lengthy embrace
And a sad, sad smile came across his face
And as he stood from his chair to wave goodbye
I could have sworn I saw a tear in Keanu's eye...

And then he said, "...Whoa"
And then he just started quoting Shakespeare
And we said, "Hey, Keanu, it'll be alright
Just imagine we're sittin' here next to you for the rest of the night"
'Cause, Keanu I'd love to sit here all night waitin for you
to bum another smoke from me
Keanu, how I love you
'Cause now you're so much more to me
than just 'that guy who starred in Speed'
Keanu...

-Laurie Lehner

True story, Every word. I think it happened in 2005 at Evelyn Lounge in NYC which is, sadly, no longer. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment